Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Adage vs. Adagio

"Adage is a French word derived from the Italian ad agio, meaning at ease or leisure.  English ballet teachers use 'adage', the French adaptation, while Americans prefer the original Italian."  I found this definition interesting, because I don't think I have actually ever read it in all the years of owning the Ballet Dictionary.  I just always knew that the Adagio section of a ballet class was slow and sustained.  I didn't know that Americans prefer the Adagio pronunciation of the exercise.  I thought I was going to have to do a lot of research on the difference, but there it was in the second sentence.

The Ballet Dictionary also states that the exercises of Adagio "develop a sustaining power, sense of line, balance and the beautiful poise which enables the dancer to perform with majesty and grace."  I love Adagio because I think its awesome that you can break a sweat by slowly moving or holding a balanced pose.  Adagio also reminds me of Yoga, where its almost a zen-like exercise.  It is relaxing while also being very hard work at the same time.

My "go to" Adagio in my classes consists of 6 of the Basic Positions of the Body.  Croisé Devant, Écarté, À la Quatrième Devant, À la Seconde, Effacé, and Épaulé.  I use this combination and can added more difficulty depending on my class by taking these positions with Développé and Tour de Promenade.  I've attached a video of myself performing the basic combination here.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment